Saturday, December 17, 2011

Perspective: Day 4 (Charity) 12.17.2011

When I took up law, I learned that I have so much to learn. The advantage of being a law student does not lie on the assumption that you are better than the others, knowing a little of something that others do not just boosts up your morale.

No matter where you are, you would agree that you will see children and families begging for money, for something to eat, for mercy. The fourth day of my perspective series is about charity. I will try to avoid sounding legalese but a discussion of some legal terms is necessary to express my idea thoroughly.

Presidential Decree No. 1563 is the law intended to control and eradicate mendicancy because it is declared that mendicancy breeds crime, creates traffic hazards, endangers health, and exposes mendicants to indignities and degradation. Section 3(a) of the law defines a mendicant as any person, except those enumerated in Section 4 of this Decree, who has no visible and legal means of support, or lawful employment and who is physically able to work but neglects to apply himself to some lawful calling and instead uses begging as a means of living.

It is not enough to know who and what a mendicant is but more importantly it is imperative to take note that the law provides for criminal liability against the mendicant, the parents of exploited minors and of course the persons who give alms to the mendicants. Yes, you heard it right; giving alms to mendicants is a violation of this law. I will quote the last paragraph of Section 5 of the law “Any person who abets mendicancy by giving alms directly to mendicants, exploited infants and minors on public roads, sidewalks, parks and bridges shall be punished by a fine not exceeding P20.00.”

Despite the seemingly obsolescent penalty of P20.00, the fact remains that supporting mendicancy by giving alms is punishable. Thus, when I went to C&E publishing to get the books which I reserved, I pitied the children draped with almost nothing while soaked in the rain. I was torn between obeying the law and exercising acts of charity.

Good thing was one of the children offered to get me a taxi, which I instantly appreciated. When I was seated comfortably, I reached inside my pocket and gave her some coins. She said “salamat kuya”, then the taxi went off. I felt satisfied for when I pondered, I concluded that the child was not a mendicant because at the time I gave her some coin, it was in payment for the service that she performed. Facio ut des. Charity without violating any law.

Adsum
12.17.2011
12:13 pm

No comments: