Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sinulog 2009






I woke up late this morning! When I looked at the clock it was already 11am. I hear drum beats all around, I saw in the tv the contingents of the dance presentations , and people shouting "pit senor". Its my first time to experience celebrating Sinulog in Cebu City.

Sinulog is one of the grandest and merriest festival celebrated in Cebu City in honor of their patron saint Sr. Santo Nino. After breakfast, or should I say brunch..hehe I readied myself and went outside to join the festivities.

I met up with some of my friends and together we satisfied our eyes with the colorful floats, the exquisitely designed costumes and the well-choreographed dance of the street dnacers who occupied the long streets. Our feet cant help but move to the beat of the euphoric moment. We of course did not forget to gratify of gastric system, we savored the smell and the delicious taste of the foods on display. I also got a suvenir for myself.

People from all folks of life, gathered in this celebration even foreigners exuded mirth in their faces. The Sinulog indeed is an epitome of the syncretic religiousity which we Filipinos have developed. It is a combination of the pagan traditon and the Christian tradition fused into a single occasion unifying the people in the name of God, joy, happiness, celebration and of course fraternity.

The happy and beaming faces of the people you come across added by the colorful face paintings and the artistically made henna tattoes, would relieve your tired feet and sweaty forehead because after all you will realize that this is a time for celebration!

"One beat, one dance, one shout-- Pit Senor!"

No comments: